Friday 29 November 2013

Ambury Farm 2013

I rushed out of my bed with a buzz of excitement. Room 13 and 14 and the year 5s from Room 18 were all going on a trip to Mangere Ambury Regional Park(Ambury Farm). Our topic was farming so our teachers knew this was the right place to go. The bus had arrived it was time to buzz off.

“When you come into the barn do not stand on the sacks” said Debbie. We listened to her telling us about farms, here is one lesson she taught us. Inputs and Outputs. Input is what you get money for on a farm and output is what farmers spend your money on like food for the animals and other useful stuff for the farm like tractors.

All of us  were told to divide into two groups,one goes to the shearing shed and one goes to the milking shed. Our group went to the shearing shed first. This time we were with Janine. As we went in it smelled disgusting. The air was muggy and stuffy and we could smell sheep poo. Janine told us about sheep and the wool. We even got to see a sheep getting shaved on its bum then slid down a chute.

Next we went to the milking shed where cows on the farm get milked. Debbie told us about cows and their body and the udders. it was amazing. A holstein-friesian cow was getting milked and we all got to pat it. The cows name was Mrs T.

After all of that we split into three groups. My group went with Janine feeding animals like calves,cows,goats,chickens and sheep. The cows were nibbling on our hands. It was so ticklish. The chickens kind of hurt when I was feeding it. It was time to go.

I was exhausted from walking and had lots of fun learning. One cow was biting my shirt to get the food hahahah. Well I wonder if there will be any changes next time I visit.

1 comment:

  1. This is wonderful Aaron. I so appreciated hearing all about your experience. I wish I had been able to come too. Isn't it fun feeding the animals?

    Mrs Burt

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.